Many people like the idea of being able to carry a light instead of having to place torches. This mod simply does that -- here is a video of it in action:
Held Items Can Emit Light
If the player is holding (in either hand) any of the following, the immediate area around the player will light up with same light level as the related block. Items that emit light:
- redstone torch
- redstone ore
- glowstone block
- glowstone dust
- lava bucket
- sea lantern
- end rod
- jack o' lantern
Torches Can Burn Mobs
In the 1.12.1 version I have added a feature where a regular torch will burn mobs for 10 seconds (unless they are immune). Animal entities like pigs will drop cooked meat if they die while burning. This can be turned off if you don't like it in the mod configuration settings.
Burning Entities Emit Light
In the 1.12.1 version I have added a feature where burning entities will emit light at the same light level as a fire block.
- A held item will not emit light if you go fully underwater, but will re-light as soon as you emerge again.
- A held item may not emit light if you're in very dense tall grass or similar two-block high pass-through blocks. I think this is realistic though.
- Fixed a null pointer exception related to checking held item.
- Fixed a class not found exception related to annotating a GUI handler that didn't exist.
- Initial publication
Known Issues, Incompatibilities And Requested Improvementsv1.0.0:
- Incompatible with some shaders.
- Sea lantern should glow under water.
- Redstone and other things that have lower light should cast less light.
- If in flowing water, it still cast light.
- In some cases where there is no space around front of head, light goes out.